- Establish your rules.
- Deal with one behaviour at a time.
- Connect calmly with your child.
- Clarify your concerns.
- Suggest a positive alternative.
- Explain the consequence if the misbehaviour or rule infraction continues.
- Correct the misbehaviour on the spot and carry out the agreed consequence.
- Be fair.
- Congratulate good efforts.
Monday, September 26, 2011
More on disciplining
The second secret from Michele Borba's book, 12 Secrets Real Moms Know is: "A mother who is firm and fair gives her children a moral code to live by." The chapter includes the following 9 steps to dealing with bad behaviour firmly and fairly: